SCOPE School – the live component of World Obesity’s Strategic Centre for Obesity Professional Education (SCOPE) programme – is going virtual for the second time. Further to the success of the first virtual SCOPE School, the acclaimed course on obesity management will be delivered online to a global audience of health professionals, with one more planned at the end of 2020.
Branded SCOPE School Global, the online events will go beyond the regional focus of traditional SCOPE Schools and incorporate different international perspectives, providing an exciting opportunity for health professionals around the world to share ideas and best practices.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, SCOPE Schools will continue to be delivered virtually until in-person meetings can be hosted safely and without posing a risk to attendees or their patients.
Obesity Across the Lifespan
We look forward to welcoming you to our second SCOPE School Global on 22nd-24th October, addressing the theme of ‘Obesity Across the Lifespan’.
The World Obesity Federation (WOF) are delighted to host its second digital SCOPE School to coincide with the 2nd UAE Obesity Conference (UOC). In 2018, World Obesity held its first Regional Conference on Obesity for the Middle East and Africa (MENA) region, in Abu Dhabi. Ever since, similar meetings have been conducted both tailored to patients and physicians locally. Just under a year ago, the Regional Conference on Obesity was held in Oman, coinciding with a regional Patient Summit. The intention is to convene interested health professionals to increase the priority and focus on obesity, to create a local expert obesity network, and to cultivate greater engagement of people living with obesity.
Although a regional focus will prevail, the learnings and concepts discussed are tailored to a global audience. The GULF has also been selected as a focus for this meeting given that high prevalence of disease. According to the World Obesity Global Obesity Observatory (GOO) 64.9% women and 70.8% men are overweight or obese in the UAE alone.
We now have this opportunity for opinion leaders in this field to share their expertise globally in this alternative format.
Chaired by Dr Sara Suliman, Dr Mohgah El-Sheikh and Dr Mohamed Al-Haddad, the event will advance knowledge on the epidemiology and cost of obesity, both globally and locally in the GULF region. Speakers will expand on the causes of obesity, the role of physical activity and appetite regulation in prevention efforts. Moreover, the complications for patients living with obesity and means of managing the disease.
By the end of the event you will
- Understand the etiology and risk factors for obesity, including the current prevalence globally.
- Recognise the health complications associated with obesity, as well the costs of the consequences of obesity on a global scale.
- Understand the association between obesity and its comorbidities (cancer, diabetes, NASH) and the link between COVID-19 and obesity
- Manage patients presenting with obesity effectively and conduct comprehensive initial assessments.
Healthcare professionals working in clinical practice including dieticians, nutritionists, diabetes nurses/educators, physiotherapists, physical activity specialists, general practitioners, obesity medicine, exercise physiologists, specialists, internal medicine physicians and other specialists treating obesity related diseases.
Biographies uploaded soon.
- Dr Sara Suliman
- Dr Mohgah El-Sheikh
- Dr Mohamed Al-Hadad
- Dr Donna Ryan
- Dr Omniyat Alhajeri
- Dr Stuart Gray
- Dr Faisal Hassan
- Dr Nigel Beejay
- Dr Caroline Apovian
- Dr Noor Al Busaidi
- Dr Nasreen Alfaris
Do you fulfill one or more of the criteria listed below?
- Received a PhD within the past five years or MD within the past eight years. Or be working towards a PhD, MD or equivalent.
- Carried out research/work in the field of obesity.
- Live in a low- and middle-income country, whose gross national income is less than 90% of the EU average.
Apply here for the opportunity to attend this course and earn 4 of the 12 SCOPE points required for SCOPE Certification.
Scholarship applications will close on October 1st, and all applicants will be notified of the outcome within two weeks of this deadline.
This SCOPE school has been CPD Accredited in principle. Accredited CPD training means the learning activity has reached the required Continuing Professional Development standards and benchmarks. The learning value has been scrutinised to ensure integrity and quality.
- Dr Sara Suliman, Consultant Endocrinologist, Diabetologist and Bariatric Physician Imperial College London Diabetes Centre (Chairman of the Conference Local Organising Committee)
- Dr Ebaa Ol Ozairi, Chief Medical Officer, Immediate Past President AACE-Gulf Chapter, Consultant Diabetes, Endocrine and Nutrition, Dasman Diabetes Institute, Kuwait
- Dr Mohamed Al Hadad, Head of Bariatric and General Surgery, Consultant Bariatric Surgeon, Healthpoint Hospital, UAE
- Dr Mohgah Elsheikh, Consultant Endocrinologist, Imperial College London Diabetes Centre, UAE
- Dr Omniyat Alhajeri, Director Public Health, DOH Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Dr Sara Suliman, Consultant Endocrinologist and Diabetologist, UAE
The SCOPE School has been accredited with 4.0 SCOPE points, which count towards SCOPE Certification.
All participants must actively participate on all days, and complete pre and post event learning questions in order to satisfy eligibility criteria for receiving points for their attendance.
You will need to earn a total of 12 points to become SCOPE Certified. This must include completion of our Core Learning Path (4.0 points) - an e-learning course with eight modules covering the ‘essentials’ of obesity management. You can earn the remaining points by completing free supplementary modules (0.5 points each) or by attending additional SCOPE Accredited events.