The serious nature of the challenge of obesity calls for a new level of ambition as well as a new direction. We are therefore setting out two new national ambitions for us all to play a part in achieving:
- A sustained downward trend in the level of excess weight in children by 2020.
- A downward trend in the level of excess weight averaged across all adults by 2020.
Delivery of the ambitions will call for a distinctive, new approach. The main components are:
- Empowering individuals.
- Giving partners the opportunity to play their full part.
- Giving local government the lead role in driving health improvement and harnessing partners at local level.
- Building the evidence base.