The purpose of this EU Action Plan on Childhood Obesity is to:
- Demonstrate the shared commitment of EU Member States to addressing childhood obesity;
- Set out priority areas for action and a possible toolbox of measures for consideration and
- Propose ways of collectively keeping track of progress.
The Action Plan is envisaged to cover the six years between 2014 and 2020 and is based on eight key areas for action:
- Support a healthy start in life;
- Promote healthier environments, especially in schools and pre-schools;
- Make the healthy option the easier option;
- Restrict marketing and advertising to children;
- Inform and empower families;
- Encourage physical activity;
- Monitor and evaluate;
- Increase research.
Regarding the second area for action, the Action Plan highlights that initiatives to provide children and young people with fresh drinking water in schools, both to promote health and as a substitute for sugar-sweetened beverages should be prioritised.