This paper discusses the need for action to reduce sugar-sweetened beverage consumption in Australia, and provides an overview of a proposed comprehensive policy approach. Such an approach should be led by the Federal Government in order to achieve consistent and widespread implementation. It should include programme of integrated strategies including the following five elements:
- Pricing and economic tools to reduce consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages and promote consumption of water.
- Effective controls to reduce children’s exposure to marketing for sugar-sweetened beverages, including through sport.
- Effective social marketing campaigns to foster public awareness of health implications of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption
- Phasing out of sugar-sweetened beverages availability in schools and children’s settings.
- Reduced availability and promotion in workplaces, healthcare settings and public institutions.