IOTF definitions of child obesity – extra tables
An expanded set of cut-offs defining child thinness and overweight based on the IOTF methodology (Cole et al BMJ 2000) have been published. The new tables give cut-offs for boys and girls aged 2 years to 18 years in one-month steps, for a range of BMI values equivalent to BMI 16, 17, 18.5, 23, 25, 27, 30 and 35 in adults.
The tables of cut-offs can be downloaded here.
5As of Obesity Management
The Canadian Obesity Network - Réseau canadien en obésité (CON-RCO) have developed a new toolkit for health practitioners which provides a roadmap for obesity management.
The toolkit - called the 5As of Obesity Management - provides health practitioners with five steps to better manage their patients' weight and related health issues:
- ASK for permission to discuss weight and explore readiness
- ASSESS obesity related risks and 'root causes' of obesity
- ADVISE on health risks and treatment options
- AGREE on health outcomes and behavioural goals
- ASSIST in accessing appropriate resources and providers
The 5As of Obesity Management includes a desktop tool to facilitate discussions on weight with patients, as well as a practitioner's guide to incorporating the 5As into daily practice. They are available for a nominal fee from the Canadian Obesity Network at www.obesitynetwork.ca/5As.